- Mikel, Latch, and Ryllian are captured by the drow and tossed into a cell with a motley crew of fellow prisoners: a derro, a quaggoth, 3 deep gnomes, a drow, a shield dwarf, a myconid, a kuo-toa, and an orc.
- They use a gold coin wagered by Jimjar and a scavenged gem to create makeshift lock picks to remove their manacles during escape.
- Sarkith offers to guide them out of Velkynvelve, but warns them that the north passage leads to Menzoberranzan. He tells them to go to Neverlight Grove instead, and they agree.
- Mikel uses chamber pot duty to try smuggle items helpful to their escape, but forgets in her desire to obtain a sliver of wood.
- Latch tries to steal some weapons from the drow during a faked scuffle between Ront and Prince Derendil, but is discovered and beaten.
- Ryllian discretely incites a fight between two quaggoth while shovelling their poop (with her hands). The ruse kills the two quaggoth and two drow guards. She’s knocked unconscious; when she wakes up, she discovers that Sarkith gleefully took the credit for her deed — and is now dead. The drow priestess doesn’t believe a half-elf capable of such a clever murder of four of her troupe, so Ryllian is off the hook.
- However, Jorlan isn’t fooled. He likes the idea of a mutt tu’rilthiir outsmarting his former lover, so helps the party escape by leaving their cage unlocked.
- During the escape, the party loot the armoury and also partially loot Ilvara’s quarters, retrieving some of their old belongings. They kill two more drow in the confusion created by a demon attack, and leave Velkynvelve by the west. However, without Sarkith, and with the slavers in hot pursuit, they must travel blindly in hopes of reaching the Darklake.
- Ryllian always covers their tracks, but their pursuers aren’t thrown off yet.
- After an encounter with two goblin guides in a vast cavern of spiderwebs, the party find a halfling adventurer who wishes to reunite with his group and return to the surface. They follow him to their next destination, an ancient Netherese tomb.
Songs of the Underdark
Summary of Chapter 1 - Prisoners of the Drow